Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Earth Day Changes

OK, so I said I didn't have time to write, but then I totally forgot today is Earth Day and I wanted to share the changes I am making to better our environment and make my family more healthy.

I am cutting back on the chemicals we use in the home. Several months ago I started making my own laundry detergent and it is working great. The recipe is:

1 cup Borax

1 cup Washing Soda (I use Arm and Hammer brand, which is different from baking soda)

1/2 cup Oxyclean

Mix all ingredients well and store in an airtight container. I use 2 to 3 Tablespoons per wash. The clothes do not have a perfume smell, just a clean smell. This is also good for people or kids with sensitive skin and for washing baby clothes.

I also use vinegar in the fabric softener spot. The clothes do not smell of vinegar and it helps with cleaning and softening. Vinegar is low cost and can be purchased in big jugs at Sam's club. I also put vinegar in the dishwasher for a spot free rinse. Again, the dishes do not smell of vinegar.

Vinegar and baking soda clean well and are not harmful to children. I have used both for cleaning carpet and upholstry stains. The baking soda will fizz up when mixed with vinegar and will work as an effervesant for cleaning.

These are the start of my "Green" movement. Using these products is lower in cost and cleans just as well as the heavy chemical options.

HAPPY EARTH DAY and think about how YOU can make a change for our Earth!!!

No comments: