Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Low Fat Banana Bread Recipe

My friends keep asking me if I have a low-fat banana bread recipe. At the time I did, but I never thought it tasted that great. Last week I received the Spring 2010 Ministry Health Care newsletter in the mail and there it was.... a low-fat banana bread recipe. Guess what I made last night!

The result is.... this is a good bread. It's not as rich as traditional banana bread recipes, but the family liked it and I felt better serving it. Even my 6 year old chowed this one! My changes to the recipe are listed below the nutritional information.

Low-fat Banana Bread

4 egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
2 bananas, very ripe and mashed
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup skim milk
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1-3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a full sized bread pan with cooking spray and dust with flour.

In a large bowl; beat egg white and sugar until fluffy. Beat in bananas, applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture. Fold in nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan. Don't fill more than 1/2 to 3/4 full.

Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean - About 1 hour.

Nutritional information per serving for 10 servings:
Calories: 176
Fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: .22 g
Cholesterol: .16 mg
Carbs: 36 g
Protein: 4 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sodium: 490 mg

Changes I made: I made this recipe in 3 mini loaf pans instead of one large bread pan because it is more kid friendly. I baked the bread for 35 minutes.
Next time I would add approximately 1 teaspoon cinnamon for a little kick of flavor.

Recipe courtesy of St. Clare's Culinary Creations, Ministry Health Care.

No comments: