Monday, May 17, 2010

Running after having a Baby - One Step at a Time

I had my third child in January and am already knee deep in the quest to finish another half marathon. Let me step back a little and give some history. I belong to an online group that focuses on getting healthy, staying healthy and running or walking. Many of us meet at races through out the United States to compete, socialize and have a great time. The group is supporting, encouraging and downright great people who I call my friends.

Here is what happened! I was unable to attend the Walt Disney World Marathon weekend this past January because I was due with my child on Marathon weekend (ironic?). One (or now that I think about it, it may have been several) people worked their magic to convince me to attend another race in June and do the 1/2 marathon. The race is within driving distance and the course looked nice. My pregnancy mind said... sure, the little one will be close to six months old. This is where things got scewed. Math used to be my strong subject, until I attempted to add up the age of my baby for the marathon. Correct math has her at 4 1/2 months. Oh man!

And then the training began. I started off walking at about four weeks postpartum. Several weeks later I worked in some jogs, but my legs and joints rebelled. I knew right then that this was going to be a slow process... one step at a time. And that is exactly how I continued to view it. If my legs wanted to walk, I walked. The only thing important to me was getting in the steps. I wanted to work at the mileage first, then gain speed. I knew I just underwent a major medical ordeal and my body needed to heal. And it continues to heal and strengthen each day. Pushing my body to go faster or longer than I should only meant I would deal with other problems, like strained muscles, re-occurrence of my plantar factitious or something much worse. This mom knew she had to be smart and take it... one step at a time.

The 1/2 marathon is three weeks out and I know I will finish, but it won't break any speed records. Right now my goal is to finish the race with a smile on my face. This will show that I have the strength to over come my weaknesses, both physical and mental. I may complain about it a lot, but that does not mean I am angry or giving up. It's just a release of energy. I will finish and I will finish with my friends who have supported me these last three months. I can't wait to hug my husband at the end of the race and give my three girls a big kiss! Because I will do this, one step at a time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your an amazing woman. You did real good both on this race and Jan. Very proud of you. ((Jen))

WISHing you many happy smiling finishlines.

diane